Pickford could still be given a three-match ban for reckless tackle on Van Dijk

Pickford could still be given a three-match ban for reckless tackle on Van Dijk

Jordan Pickford's challenge on Virgil Van Dijk in Saturday's Merseyside derby could still earn the Everton goalkeeper a retrospective ban, according to reports.

The goalkeeper scythed down the Liverpool centre-back in the first-half of the 2-2 draw at Goodison Park but was not penalised for the challenge as Van Dijk was caught offside by the Video Assistant Referee (VAR).

Van Dijk was forced off the pitch immediately with the injury and match referee Michael Oliver and VAR official David Coote opted not to look into the incident as a dangerous challenge.

But according to The Mirror, the Football Association could still award the England international goalkeeper a three-match ban if they go back to look at the decision.

Current regulations state that the FA can give out bans for decisions missed by the match referee, and that rule extends to the VAR official.

The FA will wait to hear from referee Oliver's match report from the Merseyside derby before deciding whether the official had missed the incident in question.

Pickford stayed on the Goodison Park and made some crucial saves in the second-half to keep Everton in the game while they were 2-1 down.

The Toffees, managed by Carlo Ancelotti, managed to claw their way back to level the match late on, while Liverpool were frustrated even further by VAR as the Premier League champions were denied an injury time Jordan Henderson winner by a marginal offside call on Sadio Mane.

Van Dijk, meanwhile, could be ruled out for an extended period, though Liverpool slammed claims made by beIN Sports presenter Richard Keys that the Dutch centre-half has suffered an anterior cruciate ligament injury.

The defender has been pivotal to Liverpool's rise under Jurgen Klopp and was ever-present as the Reds lifted their first Premier League title in 30 years last season.

Liverpool took the lead after three minutes in the Saturday lunchtime kick-off through Sadio Mane but Michael Keane's header brought Everton level in the first-half.

Mohammed Salah put the Reds back in front after the interval but in-form striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin headed Everton level in the closing minutes of the match.


Original Story on: GhanaSoccernet

Scroll to Top