The Chair of the Electoral Commission, Ghana (EC), Jean Adukwei Mensa, says her outfit did not receive any notice of injunction prior to the start of the 2023 limited voter registration exercise.
She said the Commission became aware of the notice on Wednesday, September 13, a day after the exercise had taken off.
“We’ve known for a long time that we had registration, so why wait till a day before the exercise to serve on a Friday when there is a lot of field activity going on?” Mrs Mensa wondered about the timing of the suit.
She was speaking at a meet-the-press series on Monday, September 18 to update Ghanaians on the turnout of the exercise so far.
It is almost a week since the registration exercise started and so far, she said, it has been satisfactory.
“I am happy to note that the registration exercise is proceeding well,” she said.
Prior to the start, there was stiff resistance from some civil society groups and political parties led by the National Democratic Congress (NDC).
Two suits were filed against the EC over the exercise being conducted at the district level.
The parties wanted the exercise in electoral areas.
One of the suits was a High Court injunction by a first-time voter, Precious Ayitah, who is resident in Otsebleku, near Afienya in the Greater Accra Region.
But Mrs Mensah says the suit came in late.
“As a Commission when documentation is brought in, it goes through steps, a recording process, and so sometimes it does not end up on the desk of Commissioners for some two, three days.
“So, we will like to state that it was after the start of the registration that we became privy to the injunction that had been served on us.”